Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Wacky/Weird Wednesdays: "What's the weirdest thing you've ever done to get a certain piece of memorabilia?

Was recently asked this question and in all honesty, I think it must be May 2014, when I was in Yangon, Myanmar.

Side Note: Yangon is the capital of Myanmar but in the 60s & especially during the 1969 SEAP Games, the capital was still known as Rangoon and the country, Burma

Back to my story...

I had thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Myanmar, during the 27th SEA Games [Dec 2013], when I was with the Singapore Sports Council's Media Team, covering the progress of Team Singapore, as a volunteer photojournalist.

Hence I wanted very much to come back and enjoy the rest of the country, especially the famed capital of Yangon. And so I returned and Bogyoke Aung Sang Market was one of my 1st few stops.

Now, Yangon and Myanmar are quite unlike Singapore - it sometimes floods and power outages happen but Myanmar generally does have that rustic charm which I really like.

Anyway, I came across this stall holder and after communicating what I was looking for (Sports Memorabilia from the 1960s), he showed me a beautiful gleaming medal in a box.

Quite naturally I got excited! My prior research had indicated to me that this was indeed the REAL deal - a Gold Medal from the first ever SEAP Games in Bangkok, Thailand in 1959!

"How much?"

"USD150," came the gruff reply.

Although it was not too pricey (considering its rarity & significance)  I decided to haggle a bit...

"USD 100? Chei-zu-tin-bar-te (Thank you in Burmese)

"No" was the curt answer. "USD 100 plus your watch," he replied

"My watch expensive... USD 70 plus watch?"

It was a done deal. In less than 5 minutes.

Now I wasn't wearing an Omega or a Rolex, if you were wondering... It was just a normal Bangkok bought Chronograph but as I was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I quickly parted with the watch and became the proud owner of another Thai product: A 1959 Gold Medal from the 1st ever SEAP Games!

Perhaps it may not sound so weird but such barter trades rarely happens in Singapore, if at all. So my conclusion? #agreatdeal

Together with other artefacts from my stash, this Medal will go on display this weekend... Watch for it! I am sure you will be as enthralled as I am :)

            
Reverse side of Gold Medal from the 1st SEAP Games 1959


      Front side of Gold Medal from the 1st SEAP Games 1959

No comments: