Sunday, May 22, 2016

Meeting Badminton's Thomas Cup

With the Finals of the 2016 Thomas Cup, due to be held today - 22nd May 2016 - between Indonesia & Denmark, I was so happy to be given the chance to hold that memorable trophy during my recent visit to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Head Office...

This iconic trophy, donated by Sir George Thomas, was once lifted by Wong Peng Soon & Company... In fact, Malaya were the first ever winners of this trophy!

I do hope that one day, our Singaporean shuttlers will once again lift this trophy aloft again! But till then, may the best team win today!

THE Thomas Cup, in the flesh! 
At the BWF Head Office

My 1st edition copy of Sir George Thomas' "The Art of Badminton" - written by the badminton supremo who donated the Thomas Cup.

Three successive 1950s Thomas Cup souvenir magazines, currently in my possession...

No comments: