Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Oldest Football Souvenir Magazine that I own - 1953

I've always enjoyed football, ever since I was a young boy and it helped that I went to a primary school which was very well known for its footballing prowess...

Jin Tai Primary School (established 1982 but now defunct) used to be well known for its football team.

It was indeed an honour to don the yellow jersey and green shorts in 1992, even though it was just for a couple of matches. 

Perhaps it was the inauspicious jersey number ( I wore #4) but Mum didnt really fancy her son playing football and so my footballing dreams came to naught. I should have kept that jersey!

Anyway, the oldest ever piece of football memorabilia that I possess is a Football Association of Malaya (FAM) Souvenir programme from the 27th HMS Malaya Cup Final between Penang & Singapore, which was played on Saturday, 22nd August 1953 at the Chinese Assembly Hall Ground in Ipoh, Perak!

Even though the final score was 3-2, in favour of Penang, this is still an amazing keepsake!

Sidenote: Just found out that the oldest souvenir programme kept in the RCLOS Section of our National Library dates back only to 1955 so mine (in private collection) pips theirs by 2 years 😆

This Souvenir Programme is 63 years old in 2016, nearly twice my age!

And 63 years later, in 2016, I got Chia Boon Leong aka Twinkletoes (also one of the last surving members of the 1953 squad) 
to autograph the programme... 

Chia Boon Leong now, still sprightly 
at age 91!

Chia Boon Leong is also likely the oldest living Olympian in Singapore. 
He represented China at the 
1948 London Olympics

It was really fabulous to meet a Singapore football legend like Chia Boon Leong... #reallymademyday

No comments: